Are you feeling overwhelmed by your kids’ screen time? With so many devices around, it can be hard to keep track of how much time our kids are spending on screens. But don’t worry, we’ve got your back!
Here are five tips to help you manage your kids’ screen time and find a balance that works for your family:
- Set clear guidelines and boundaries: Decide on specific times of the day when screens are allowed, or set limits on how long your child can use a particular device. This will give your child a sense of structure and routine, and will help them understand the importance of balancing screen time with other activities. Maybe you can set a rule that screens are only allowed after homework and chores are done, or that your child can only use a tablet for 30 minutes a day.
- Be a good role model: Set an example by putting your phone away during dinner and not constantly checking it when you’re with your child. Children learn by example, and if they see you using screens in a responsible way, they will be more likely to do the same. Consider empowering your kids to take responsibility for their own screen management by showing them how to use the “Do Not Disturb” feature on their phone during family time.
- Encourage other activities: Offer a variety of options like sports, reading, or puzzles so your child has a balance of screen time and other activities. This will help them develop new skills and interests, and will also give them a break from screens. For example, you can encourage your child to read a book for 30 minutes before they can use a tablet or phone.
- Keep an eye on the content: Supervise your child while they watch a movie or TV show, or check the apps and games they’re using on a tablet or smartphone. This will ensure that your child is only consuming age-appropriate content, and will give you peace of mind. There’s nothing wrong with using parental controls on your child’s device to limit the content they have access to!
- Communicate with your child: Talk to them about the guidelines you’ve set and how they’re feeling about the amount of time they’re spending in front of screens. By keeping the lines of communication open, you’ll be able to work together to find a balance that works for your family. Have a weekly family meeting to discuss screen time and any concerns or issues that may have come up during the week.
Another great way to help your child learn and grow is by introducing them to the Tuttle Twins books, audiobooks, and curriculum.
The Tuttle Twins series is a collection of children’s books that teaches kids about economics, freedom, and the proper role of government in a free society, in a fun and engaging way. The books are illustrated and easy to understand, making them perfect for children of all ages. The series includes titles such as The Tuttle Twins and the Miraculous Pencil, The Tuttle Twins Learn About the Law, and The Tuttle Twins and the Golden Rule. Each book tells a story that teaches important concepts such as the value of money, the role of government in a free society, and the importance of personal responsibility.
In addition to the books, The Tuttle Twins also offers audiobooks, which are perfect for kids who prefer to listen to stories rather than read them. These audiobooks are narrated by professional voice actors, making them a fun and engaging way for kids to learn about economics and freedom.
They’re a great way for kids to learn while on the go, during a long car ride or when doing chores!
For homeschooling families and educators, The Tuttle Twins also offers a comprehensive curriculum that aligns with the books. The curriculum includes lesson plans, quizzes, and activities that will help children understand the concepts covered in the books. It’s perfect for supplementing your child’s education and homeschooling. The curriculum is designed to be easy to use, adaptable and flexible to each child’s learning style.
Check them out now!